I've toyed on and off with the idea of getting a tattoo, but I've finally settled on something I really want. I'm going to get a raven on my upper arm - I'm not exactly sure of the design yet, but I was thinking something like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/slimlove/phoenix.jpg Not exactly a raven, but I think the design is lovely. Underneath it will be þó siámk meirr um Muninn (yet more I fear for Memory). From Grimnismal 20:Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag
iörmungrund yfir;
óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
þó siámk meirr um Muninn.
iörmungrund yfir;
óomk ek of Huginn, at hann aptr ne komit,
þó siámk meirr um Muninn.
The whole world wide, every day,
fly Hugin [Thought] and Munin [Memory];
I worry lest Hugin should fall in flight,
yet more I fear for Munin.
It's one of my favorite stanzas in the Poetic Edda. The tattoo is meant to symbolize the importance of my heritage and family history to me, and there's the connection to my heathenry. Surprisingly my parents have no objections. They're just glad it's tasteful. I'm fairly certain I'm going to get it in the summer, after my birthday.
I seem to be alone in my devotion to Girl With A Pearl Earring. Am I? Almost everyone I know who's seen the movie or read the book has said how boring they thought it was, how nothing worthwhile happened, how they wished Vermeer and Griet would've just gotten together. I don't get it. For me, it's one of the most beautiful, emotionally devastating films I've ever seen. It leaves me breathless every time. (Plus Colin Firth is mighty nice as Johannes Vermeer.) I'm not one to get tearful during a movie - and I certainly never cry in public - but that and these other films have managed to affect me in some way:
Atonement. The "Elegy for Dunkirk" scene is hauntingly beautiful, as is the long beach scene at the end. Wonderful film.
Evening. Another one people seemed to hate. I don't know, I thought the cinematography and story in general was really lovely. The opening scene gives me chills.
The Hours
Dead Poets Society
The Phantom of the Opera
The Village. It's mostly the soundtrack, I think.
The Illusionist
Pan's Labyrinth
And because I have a big L stamped on my forehead, I got a little teary-eyed in Return of the King, during the last battle with the Rohirrim, when they started playing the Rohan theme music.
I complain about peoples' lack of appreciation for Girl With A Pearl Earring, but then I'm the same way when it comes to The Notebook. That's one film I did not get. It was pleasant I suppose, but I thought it was terribly cheesy and overrated. Certainly nothing to make me weepy like it did some girl I watched it with. I still can't really look her in the face without giggling a little.


I loved Girl With A Pearl Earring as well. In fact, I enjoyed most of the movies you have listed.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE the pictures posted on here. What are they from?
Yay. :)
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are from Norwegian artist Theodor Kittelsen's Svartedauen series.
Hi there, I don't know you from a bar of soap but I see we have something in common, I too am busy putting together a tattoo of Odin's ravens, and I wanted to verify the text describing Huginn and Munnin (Huginn ok Muninn fliúga hverian dag...) I am battling to find an accurate source for this and I'm not about to tattoo a spelling or grammatical error on my body even if no one would ever know :) If you can help in any way i'd appreciate it, slaine25@gmail.com. Good luck with yours by the way!
ReplyDelete